If someone asked me to choose one thing in the world that I like to do more than anything it would be traveling. Most of the time, I travel alone, but I am not always alone. Sometimes I am hardly ever alone. Spending time with locals is a gift that gives you a close and personal view of the culture. Living with locals gives you an opportunity to be a part of a family. Meeting other travelers can give you lifelong friendships that develop over very short periods of time. This blog serves to share advice to other dreamers and travelers, particularly to women heading out to a faraway place for the first time. The one thing I can say to all of you is: get out there, wander the earth and wonder what the next turn in the road brings. An adventure awaits you.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Use it or lose it.


Last week I wrote about the many benefits to taking Spanish immersion classes in Latin America. On that same subject, and because I have known some people here in the U.S. taking Spanish classes, I would like to say:  you’ve got to use what you know or there is no point. If you are learning Spanish, on your own, through Rosetta Stone, from a friend, as a part of your high school or college studies, in another country, whatever, you will never really learn it, or retain it, or absorb it if you do not speak it!

I am feeling a little rusty myself these days. I do not have much of an opportunity to really speak Spanish lately except if I’m singing to Maná or Juanes (look ‘em up) or conversing -- in a very one-sided fashion -- with whatever is on the Spanish language TV channels. It’s kind of a bummer. But when I’m in the U.S., even if speaking with native speakers, we usually resort to English. I am not sure why. When I am in Latin America, I'm totally different. Someone can speak to me in English, and I will answer in Spanish. I’m in their country, and I want to speak Spanish, so why shouldn’t I speak it? That’s one of the reasons I’m there. In Nicaragua, at the little inn I made my home base, the manager was also from the U.S. I talked to her quite often, and I think through all our conversations, we spoke English for maybe three minutes total. Otherwise, it was always Spanish.

So I think I need to take that approach even when I’m in the U.S. But I don’t. If I’m in a restaurant with Spanish speaking staff, I will only speak Spanish if I think they did not understand my special request (which is hardly ever). They’re busy enough, why do they need to humor the lady who wants to speak a little Spanish? But since I am writing this and telling you that if you are learning Spanish, you need to use what you know, then I need to do that as well.

It is important to speak with native speakers, even if you feel lousy-stupid with mispronunciation, low knowledge of tenses, and lack of vocabulary. You need to hear how they say things, the figures of speech they use, how they emphasize words, phrases and sentences. If you feel compelled to practice with the other students in your class, that is fine, but it should be supplemented with conversations with native speakers. If you’re only speaking with students from your class, you will learn to speak Spanish with a Minnesota, Texas or Massachusetts (or whatever) accent. And that is fine in and of itself. You may always do that anyway, even if you speak to native speakers everyday. But for the reasons I mentioned, it really will help you.

Having a conversation exchange with a native Spanish speaker is a good way to practice. Find someone who wants to practice English and then spend an hour together every week, or more frequently, speaking 30 minutes in Spanish and 30 minutes in English. And make a promise to each other that you will correct one another and not feel bad about it, on either end of the correction. Leave your ego at the door.

When I was first learning Spanish in Panama, I know I made a lot of mistakes. One day I particularly remember, I was upstairs in my room and my roommate, a Panamanian named Darío, yelled at me to come downstairs. I was in the middle of something and yelled back, “Estoy muy preocupada” which means “I am very worried.” What I meant to say was “Estoy muy ocupada” which means “I am very busy.” I’m sure Darío was like, “Um, okay. Since you’re worried, then by all means, do not come downstairs. You freak.” My other friend and coworker in Panama, Victor, was trying to learn more English. One day he called me on the phone from the front of the house. He said, “Jill, where you are?” And I said, “In the office, Victor, where are you?” He said, “I’m in the chicken.” So I said, “Victor, it’s kitchen, not chicken!” And then he just laughed and laughed. But really, how else do you learn?

My hostess in Guatemala was a great woman who took the time to talk to me a lot. Her whole family did. I could always tell when I’d said something that befuddled her. She would wrinkle her brow in a certain way and I would ask her in Spanish, “Is that not a word?” And then we’d try to figure it out. Once we were changing the sheets on my bed and I commented on the awesome wool blanket that helped keep me warm on those chilly nights in the Guatemalan highlands. When I referred to the blanket, I could not for the life of me remember the Spanish word for blanket. So I just Spanishized the English word and called it a “blanketa.” She gave me that look, and then just busted out laughing. Then I started laughing and pretty soon, we were laughing so hard we were crying. I don’t know why she thought it was so funny. She did not speak English, so I don’t think she realized how pathetic my attempt had been. And I’m not sure if “blanketa” means something in Guatemala of which I am not aware, something way different than an actual blanket ... maybe “pipe wrench” or “elbow” or something dirty. But she found it funny, and as a result, so did I.

So yes, you need to be willing to put yourself out there and just try. Make mistakes. Laugh at your mistakes. Learn from your mistakes. I don't recall a stranger ever laughing at me (just my host mom and friends). And even if they laugh at you, then you know you’ve said something incorrectly and can try to find out the right way to say it. I can promise that once you make a big goof, you will remember the correct way to say it from then on.

Wait, I still cannot remember how to say blanket.
Maybe we were laughing too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment