If someone asked me to choose one thing in the world that I like to do more than anything it would be traveling. Most of the time, I travel alone, but I am not always alone. Sometimes I am hardly ever alone. Spending time with locals is a gift that gives you a close and personal view of the culture. Living with locals gives you an opportunity to be a part of a family. Meeting other travelers can give you lifelong friendships that develop over very short periods of time. This blog serves to share advice to other dreamers and travelers, particularly to women heading out to a faraway place for the first time. The one thing I can say to all of you is: get out there, wander the earth and wonder what the next turn in the road brings. An adventure awaits you.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Bob Barker, come on down!

When I was in Guatemala, I saw more street dogs than you can shake a rawhide chew stick at. It is possible that some were “pets,” but some people let their pets roam free, so it was hard to distinguish the street dog from the family pet. I know many people would say there are more pressing issues to tackle in Latin America. But I think Bob Barker could do a world of good in the “get your pets spayed and neutered” campaign down there. I’m just saying there were lots of stray dogs. And they needed some love. And some soap and water.

Here is a photo collection I simply call “Sleepy Dogs in Guatemala.” (And I am sorry, but I cannot format a photo layout worth dog doo on Blogger. They sure don't make it simple.)











 I just wanted to take them all home! 

Have any of you read or heard of the children’s book called Walter the Farting Dog? Well, if you haven’t, it is quite amusing. The artwork is cool, too. And I swear the dog in the photo below is Walter. Looks just like him. Although this dog is female. And quite possibly pregnant. She is a pathetic looking thing, and I think she knew it because she was avoiding my camera like a flea bath. She kept trotting away from me and was all, “I don’t think so, lady. No photos today.” She needed some serious TLC, poor thing.


 This is a family dog that lived in my host house. Her name is La Baby. Cute as she is, she would not let me come near her. Which is weird, because I am a total animal person and I have always been sure that dogs could tell. Here in Austin, dogs follow me all the time. They get out of their fenced-in yards, see me taking a walk and just tag along (until I help them get home ... those stories are too numerous to recount here). But not La Baby. She was having none of that. I stayed in that house for three months and never once did she let me pet her. What is up with that?!   

I will leave you with the famous, oft-repeated quote from the host with the most: 
"Bob Barker reminding you to help control the pet population. Have your pet spayed or neutered. Bye-bye." 

And if you can't let sleeping dogs lie, adopt one! If adopting a dog in a foreign country is not in your travel plans, there are many dogs in shelters at home that would love to be yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment