If someone asked me to choose one thing in the world that I like to do more than anything it would be traveling. Most of the time, I travel alone, but I am not always alone. Sometimes I am hardly ever alone. Spending time with locals is a gift that gives you a close and personal view of the culture. Living with locals gives you an opportunity to be a part of a family. Meeting other travelers can give you lifelong friendships that develop over very short periods of time. This blog serves to share advice to other dreamers and travelers, particularly to women heading out to a faraway place for the first time. The one thing I can say to all of you is: get out there, wander the earth and wonder what the next turn in the road brings. An adventure awaits you.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Keep your eyes open.

The other week, I wrote to you about the possible perils of walking around with earbuds (see this post). Today I am going to address another sense – one that if you’ve got it, you had better use. I’m talking about vision. Open your eyeballs, people! Especially you lone female travelers out there. And I don’t mean to say that being vigilant isn’t necessary when you’re not traveling. Because things can happen anywhere, good or bad. But when you’re in a strange city, you’ve got to pay attention to your surroundings.

Be aware. You can look like you are in another world, but don’t actually be in another world. Enjoy the sights, hear the sounds, smell the smells and all that. But also be able to notice if someone is following you or eyeing your bag. And on that note, make sure you carry the bag or purse across your body, with the “goods” in front of you. If you’re carrying a daypack, carry it in front of you, especially when you’re in crowds. You would not believe how easy it is for someone to zip open that pack when it’s on your back and you won’t even notice it. Super easy.

When I am walking around a place – any place -- I notice details, like an awesome pair of shoes another woman is wearing as she passes me, or the cobalt blue window trim on a house, or the happy hour chirping of a tree full of canaries. And I notice the not-so-charming things as well. Like the guy urinating in the middle of the sidewalk in New York City as my friend and I walked by. I have seen plenty of guys urinate in public, in many different global locations. But they usually at least lean against a wall or fence or something. Not this guy. So maybe he wasn’t so difficult to notice.

Anyway, when I was visiting one particular city (and I’m not going to divulge what city this was because I don’t want people to think less of it or feel they cannot visit because of this one particular incident I am about to share), I had an experience that required vigilant eyes. I was walking by myself near the city center. It was almost dark, but there were several lights. There were many people walking about, so many that I had to bob and weave as I headed down the sidewalk. One man I walked passed looked at me and said something incomprehensible. He was speaking in drunken mumble. Or maybe it was strung-out-on-drugs mumble. I don’t know for sure. As I did with many people I passed, we had eye contact. No big whoop.

So I continued walking, and I went another couple blocks when I see this guy again. Might be a coincidence. But I’m not sure, so I walk around the corner and head toward a bar where someone I know works. There are many people there, it is very crowded, and I slip into the crowd quickly and nonchalantly, find a staff person and ask if my friend is working. She is not, and just as I turn back around toward the door, there is that guy again. I just know this is not a coincidence. He walks passed me, like he is not really looking at me. But I know better and make a beeline for the door, turn and head to the other end of the building where a woman is mopping the floor. I say to her, “There is a man following me.” She tells me to get into the office of a travel agent, where I find one of the owners of the agency. I told him what happened and pretty soon we can hear some drunkenly-slurred talking. That dude was outside! He followed me to the travel agency! He walked into the office! Luckily, the travel agent stepped in. He went outside his office and had a discussion with Mr. Grain Alcohol. I could hear them half arguing, although I didn’t catch all that was said. I just know the drunk guy was making little to no sense, and the travel agent was sternly telling him to get the hell out of there. Yeah, get the hell out of here!

After that, I sat in the office with the travel agent for a while, just to be safe. Pretty soon, the lady who was mopping the floor came back inside and said the crazy guy had left. He went back toward where the bar was, so I thanked the two who had helped, and quickly left out the backway, to head home in a speedy manner.

I don’t know what would’ve happened if I didn’t notice this guy following me. Maybe nothing. Maybe he would’ve tried to talk to me and I would’ve just walked away and that would’ve been that. But I doubt it. He was on something. He was being overly persistent. He was on a mission to catch up with me and I just knew I had to find a safe place, to get him away from me. I was lucky there were so many people around. I was lucky that the travel agency was open. And he was lucky I didn’t elbow him in the throat. Okay, that would probably be a bad idea unless absolutely necessary. I strongly advise steering clear of physical contact of any kind and just getting the hell away, like I did. Finding someone to help is always good, too. Finding a safe place, where there are other people is helpful. If you need to call the police, you can do it there.

You don’t have to stand on a dark corner, alone and defenseless. And you don’t have to go all Beatrix Kiddo in Kill Bill on someone either (although how cool was she?). But be aware of what is going on around you. You don’t have to be paranoid, you just have to use your senses. And your common sense. If you find yourself in an unpleasant situation, ask for help. It doesn’t have to be a big, strong man who comes to your aid. Sometimes just being with another person makes you an undesirable target. Just keep your eyes open, enjoy the sights, but stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment