If someone asked me to choose one thing in the world that I like to do more than anything it would be traveling. Most of the time, I travel alone, but I am not always alone. Sometimes I am hardly ever alone. Spending time with locals is a gift that gives you a close and personal view of the culture. Living with locals gives you an opportunity to be a part of a family. Meeting other travelers can give you lifelong friendships that develop over very short periods of time. This blog serves to share advice to other dreamers and travelers, particularly to women heading out to a faraway place for the first time. The one thing I can say to all of you is: get out there, wander the earth and wonder what the next turn in the road brings. An adventure awaits you.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Take in your surroundings.

No matter where you travel, there is something different, amazing, and beautiful to see. Today I am sharing some more photos with you to make my point ... the point being: take it all in. And take some photos while you’re at it. I know some of you do not feel the need to have thousands of photos on your computer (or in my case, on my computer and in a huge rubber bin in storage). And I understand that. But I cannot abide by it. I love taking photos and I love looking at them when I return. This has been true since I was a little kid. So even if you don’t carry a camera when you travel, take a photo with your mind. Hopefully you will be able to preserve some great scenes like these:

One of the two volcanoes on the island of Ometepe in Lake Nicaragua in Nicaragua. 


The shore of Isla Ometepe.




A coffee cooperative on Isla Ometepe.


If you are too tired to refer to Wikipedia to find out more about Isla Ometepe right now (or ever), I will tell you a little bit about it. It is the largest volcanic island in a fresh water lake in all the world (and Lake Nicaragua -- also known as Lago Cocibolca, and a few additional names I will not list here -- is the largest lake in Central America). When I was there, there were almost entirely dirt roads and my guide took me around in a very necessary four-wheel-drive vehicle. Some cool things you can find on Isla Ometepe are howler monkeys, petroglyphs, and lovely people. And also peace and quiet. Unless a howler monkey is ... you know .... howling (although it sounds more like growling to me. Or roaring.) And also many things that make beautiful photographs for a frame, or simply your frame of mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment