If someone asked me to choose one thing in the world that I like to do more than anything it would be traveling. Most of the time, I travel alone, but I am not always alone. Sometimes I am hardly ever alone. Spending time with locals is a gift that gives you a close and personal view of the culture. Living with locals gives you an opportunity to be a part of a family. Meeting other travelers can give you lifelong friendships that develop over very short periods of time. This blog serves to share advice to other dreamers and travelers, particularly to women heading out to a faraway place for the first time. The one thing I can say to all of you is: get out there, wander the earth and wonder what the next turn in the road brings. An adventure awaits you.

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Don't let go, Part 2.



I hate cigarettes. I hate what they do to health. I hate that they are so addictive. And I hate the smell. But were it not for cigarettes, I perhaps would not have become friends with Ana Maria, the dear friend I mentioned last month (see here).

I honestly do not remember our first-time-meeting very well (or at all), but Ana Maria reminded me of the event when I recently saw her. We were next-door neighbors in the small, shoe box graduate dorms at the University of Connecticut. I was working on a Master’s degree, and Ana Maria was a student from Venezuela studying English at the UConn American English Language Institute (UCAELI).

Upon moving in, I was trying to get used to being back in school after a few years since undergrad, and getting accustomed to life in such small quarters. Evidently, one evening I smelled cigarette smoke, and since we were in a non-smoking dorm, went next door to confront the smoker. The smoker was Ana Maria and this was apparently our first meeting. As I said, I do not remember that, although it sounds feasible because I do hate smoke and I’m not afraid to bitch about it. Needless to say, neither one of us had a shining first impression of the other, she the inconsiderate smoker, me the inconsiderate complainer. But first impressions be damned! 

After that, Ana Maria and I would run into each other in the bath/shower room in the evening. We washed our faces and brushed our teeth, and with the smoking confrontation over with, would chat. I always like meeting people from other countries (as I have mentioned in other posts – see here, here and here) and was intrigued that she was from South America and learning English. I would sometimes help with her homework and she would help me with my Spanish. I met her friends from the language program, I attended some of their events and parties, and she went with me to New Hampshire to visit my parents. I learned about Venezuela from her. She learned more about the nonsensical English language (e.g. there, their, they’re) and the U.S. from me. We had become great friends that semester, and when it was over, and I moved out of the dorm and Ana Maria prepared to return to Venezuela, we were big babies and cried as we said our good-byes. 

But we had plans to see each other soon. Very soon.

To be continued ... 


No comments:

Post a Comment